References / Recommendations
- Ashburner, J., Bennett, L., Rodger, S., & Ziviani, J. (2013). Understanding the sensory experiences of young people with autism spectrum disorder: A preliminary investigation. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 60(3), 171-180.
- Case-Smith, J., Weaver, L. L., & Fristad, M. A. (2014). A systematic review of sensory processing interventions for children with autism spectrum disorders. Autism,
- Cosbey, J., Johnston, S. S., & Dunn, M. L. (2010). Sensory processing disorders and social participation. The American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 64(3), 462-473.
- Cosbey, J., Johnston, S., S., Dunn, M., L., & Bauman, M. (2012). Playground behaviors of children with and without sensory processing disorders. OTJR: Occupation, Participation & Health, 32(2), 39-47.
- Hochhauser, M., & Engel-Yeger, B. (2010). Sensory processing abilities and their relation to participation in leisure activities among children with high-functioning autism spectrum disorder (HFASD). Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 4(4), 746-754.
- Koenig, K. P., & Rudney, S. G. (2010). Performance challenges for children and adolescents with difficulty processing and integrating sensory information: A systematic review. The American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 64(3), 430-442.
- Lane, A. E., Young, R. L., Baker, A. E., & Angley, M. T. (2010). Sensory processing subtypes in autism: Association with adaptive behavior. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 40(1), 112-122.
- May-Benson TA, Koomar JA (2010) Systematic review of the research evidence examining the effectiveness of interventions using a sensory integrative approach for children. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, May-Jun; 64(3): 403-14.
- Pfeiffer, B. A., Koenig, K., Kinnealey, M., Sheppard, M., & Henderson, L. (2011). Research Scholars Initiative— Effectiveness of sensory integration interventions in children with autism spectrum disorders: A pilot study. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 65, 76–85.
- Reynolds, S., Bendixen, R., Lawrence, T., & Lane, S. (2011). A pilot study examining activity participation, sensory responsiveness, and competence in children with high functioning autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders, 41(11), 1496-1506.
- Schaaf, R. C., Toth-Cohen, S., Johnson, S. L., Outten, G., & Benevides, T. W. (2011). The everyday routines of families of children with autism: Examining the impact of sensory processing difficulties on the family. Autism, 15(3), 373-389.
- Schaaf, R., C., Hunt, J., & Benevides, T. (2012). Occupational therapy using sensory integration to improve participation of a child with autism: A case report. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 66(5), 547-555.
- Schaaf, R. C., Benevides, T., Mailloux, Z., Faller, P., Hunt, J., van Hooydonk, E., & Kelly, D. (2013). An intervention for sensory difficulties in children with autism: A randomized trial. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 1-14.
- Bundy AC, Shelly JL, Murray EA (2002) Sensory integration: theory and practice – second edition. Philadelphia: F A Davis.
- Cribbin V, Lynch H, Bagshawe B, Chadwick K (2003) Sensory Integration: Information booklet – a resource for parents and therapists. Sensory Integration Network, UK and Ireland.
- Kranowitz CS (2003) The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun – Activities for kids with sensory integration dysfunction. ISBN 0-399-52843-1.
- Miller Lucy J, Doris A (2006) Fuller. Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder. New York: G. P. Putnam’s Sons.
- Smith Myles, B., Tapscott Cook, K., Miller, N., Rinner, L & Robbins, L. (2000) Asperger Syndrome and Sensory Issues: Practical Solutions for Making Sense of the World. Kansas, USA: Autism Asperger Publishing Co.
- Torrance C A (2003) Applying sensory integration principles where children live, learn and play. Pediatrc Therapy Network.
- Williams, Mary Sue and Sherry Shellenberger (1996). “How Does Your Engine Run?” A Leader’s Guide to The Alert Program for Self-Regulation. Albuquerque, NM: TherapyWorks, Inc.
- Dunn, W. (1999). Sensory Profile. San Antonio, TX: Psychological Corporation.
- Dunn, W. (2006). Sensory profile school companion. Psychological Corporation: San Antonio
- Sensory Integration Network (UK and Ireland)
The Sensory Integration Network aims to promote education, good practice and research in sensory integration and practice. The Network provides information, advice and support to parents, carers and teachers of people with sensory integrative or related difficulties and training for professionals.
- Sensory Integration Global Network
SIGN is made up of a group of volunteers who came together to protect the integrity and promote the body of work of Dr A. Jean Ayres in Sensory Integration Theory and Intervention.
- Sensory Processing Disorder Network
Project of the US-based KID Foundation, a non-profit organisation based in Colorado. The SPDN acts as a portal for information about sensory processing disorders.
- Sensory Smarts
Advice and tips for parents of Children with sensory disorders from Lindsey Biel and Nancy Peske, authors of Raising a Sensory Smart Child.
- Community: Sensory Integration
A selection of articles on sensory integration for children can be found at this website.
- Children’s Disabilities Information
This website provides sensory integration articles and resources focusing on impact and treatment.
- The National Autistic Society
This UK charity is for people with autism (including Asperger syndrome), their families and professionals, providing information and support. Has links for sensory integration.